Saturday, January 14, 2023

Gold Eagle sunglasses, 1986


Yes, friends, that epitome of rugged masculinity in the photo above is none other than the 11-year-old me, in August of 1986 (according to the date on the back of the photo). The can of Slice in the background is just the icing on the ‘80s cake. 

I just discovered this photo in the Glorious Trash archives and thought I’d post it, because the sunglasses I’m wearing happen to be the sunglasses you received when you joined the Gold Eagle reader service. I have no idea what happened to mine or even how long they lasted; I remember them being pretty flimsy, and also I think they folded in half to be stored in a faux-leather pouch. 

This was the height of my Gold Eagle obsession – as the photo was taken I was probably daydreaming about the latest volume of Phoenix Force.

No comments: