Thursday, July 8, 2021

The Secret Of Bigfoot Pass (The Six Million Dollar Man)


The Secret Of Bigfoot Pass, by Mike Jahn
October, 1976  Berkley Books

Mike Jahn, who wrote the earlier Six Million Dollar Man tie-in Wine, Women And War, returns with another tie-in paperback, this one novelizing the famous Bigfoot episodes of the series. Actually I should make that the first Bigfoot episodes, as the creature returned in a later two parter. Anyway at 154 pages of big print, The Secret Of Bigfoot Pass comes off more like a novella, and Jahn does not go for the same sort of crafted approach as he did with that earlier tie-in. This one reads like what it is: a quick novelization of a goofy story. 

Whereas Wine, Women, And War almost had the vibe of a paperback produced by Lyle Kenyon Engel, with an adult or at least mature vibe, this one’ a lot more juvenile. But then I wonder if this is due to the edition I have; only after reading the book did I notice that it has “Special Scholastic Edition” on the cover. It’s possible that Jahn’s original edition was rewritten (ie “dumbed down”) for younger readers…but then no notice of this is given in the copyright, so I’m assuming this is just how he wrote it. Perhaps it just became increasingly evident to Jahn that The Six Million Dollar Man was more of a hit with kids than it was with adults, hence the mature vibe of that earlier tie-in being almost wholly removed from this one. 

Of course, this is true of the series itself, so Jahn is not at fault here. And in fact he does try to inject a little naughtiness; in the book Steve Austin meets a hot alien chick (seriously!) and Jahn goes out of his way to document the “meaningful” looks the babe gives Steve. However as expected absolutely nothing comes of it, and also there’s zero in the way of exploitation of the alien babe’s ample charms, other than that she’s pretty and wears a “comfortable jump suit.” Jahn clearly knows that kids would be his prime readers, thus he focuses more on Bigfoot and the various action scenes (all of which are bloodless). But again this could just be some Scholastic editorial tinkering; I haven’t been able to find anything online that would confirm whether this edition was edited. 

First of all, I love that this is titled “The Secret Of Bigfoot Pass.” How much of a secret are we really talking about here? Anyway the title is about as juvenile as the story: in this one, friends, Steve Austin meets up with Bigfoot, or “Sasquatch” as Jahn refers to him, not to mention a couple aliens who live underground. Speaking of which, Steve himself is referred to as “Austin,” one of the few holdovers from Jahn’s previous tie-in. And also again Jahn harkens back to the source novels of Martin Caidin, with Austin having a couple different bionic configurations than his on-screen counterpart. This actually factors into the finale, in which Jahn detours from the actual episode. But otherwise Steve here is the same as he was in the shows, and not the Caidin books…more of an affable but laconic country boy type. 

The part of the novel I found most interesting was the rundown Jahn gives of Steve’s background, likely taken from Caidin’s initial novel Cyborg. Here we learn that Steve got into the Apollo Program late, but still managed to command the final lunar mission, Apollo 17 – replacing the real world’s Gene Cernan (who isn’t mentioned). After that, Steve, trying to stay in the space program, test flew a shuttle design and crashed spectacularly. Here we get into the “we can rebuild him” stuff, with Jahn’s version of Oscar Goldman coming off like Steve’s original icy boss, as played by Darren McGavin in the first Six Million Dollar Man telefilm. Jahn makes concessions to the tone of the series with the note that, as time went on, Oscar became less icy, with he and Steve almost becoming friends. This is different than the show, in which Steve and Oscar call each other “pal” or “buddy” so often that you could make a drinking game of it. 

But wait, we were talking about Bigfoot. Let me briefly diverge on that. The Six Million Dollar Man was slightly before my time. I was born in late ’74 and was aware of the show, mostly due to my brother, who at 7 years older than me was the prime audience for the series. He had the Steve Austin doll with the plastic eye you could look through and the weird fake plastic skin on the leg and all that stuff, and I was fascinated with it. In fact I was obsessed with all of my brother’s toys, including his GI Joe doll with the beard that collected dust. My cousins also had the Maskatron, which I thought was even cooler than the Steve Austin doll. Also my brother had the space capsule, or whatever it was, complete with a space suit for Steve and this sort of operating table you could put him on. Well anyway I thought all this was great but I heard there was also a Bigfoot toy, but no one I knew had it. 

We’re talking here about the time right after the show had gone off the air, so I knew from my brother that finding a Bigfoot toy might be difficult – only many years later would I learn that the Bigfoot doll was hard to find to begin with. I also really wanted my own Steve Ausin doll and somehow my parents found one for me; I still remember the thrill I had when they came back with a new-in-the-box Six Million Dollar Man doll. Actually now that I think of it, this must’ve been around 1980, so the show had been off the air for a year or two. I’m assuming this doll must’ve been on clearance, or they just found one somewhere. Well anyway, I still wanted Bigfoot. Now there was this kid in my class (we’re talking first grade) named Steve Middleton who swore up and down that there was a Bigfoot doll at some store somewhere nearby. I pleaded with my mom and dad to look for it for me (no idea why I didn’t just go shopping with them), but they said there was no Bigfoot toy there – they’d looked and looked. 

I bring this up because this was the first time I learned that people could lie. When I told Steve that my parents couldn’t find the toy, he not only insisted the Bigfoot doll was there, but that there were dozens of them. And his tales would only become even taller. I was only six years old at the time, but I vividly recall that Steve Middleton was the first person who had so actively lied to me. And to this day whenever I think of the Bigfoot from Six Million Dollar Man (which is damn often!), I think of Steve Middleton. Actually I have another humorous story about Steve: later on, when we were in middle school (aka “junior high” if you’re in Canada or whatever), I always got amusement out of how he tried to get by in class. He never did very well academically, so he somehow came up with the idea of feigning interest in whatever the teacher was talking about. But I mean major interest: if the teacher said, for example, that the pyramids were a few thousand years old, Steve would bug out his eyes, gape in amazement, and wag his head back and forth. Of course he’d still fail the tests, but this feigned look of amazement only became more and more outrageous…sort of like his tall tales about the mythical Bigfoot toy he claimed to have seen.* 

Okay, we’re back; sorry for the divergence. I don’t belive I’ve ever even watched the episodes Jahn novelizes here, though I have the complete series on DVD – I stalled out at Season One. One can tell though that Jahn seems to have stayed pretty close to his source material; everything’s kind of threadbare, sort of like the low production values of the series itself. As usual it opens in the cheap showiness of nature (that way you don’t have to pay for sets), with Steve hanging out in a mobile command center in Northern California while a married pair of scientists set up some earthquake monitoring devices. Also here we have Oscar Goldman and a local scientist named Joe Raintree. When the scientist couple is mysteriously abducted, Raintree claims that Bigfoot took them – hence the big footprint left at the scene. 

However there’s no mystery for us readers. Jahn often cuts over to Bigfoot’s point of view, referring to him as “Sasquatch.” The opening is a bit slow-going as Sasquatch creeps around and Steve uses his bionics to run through the forest and look for the missing couple. This of course leads to the expected confrontation with Bigfoot, which goes on for a while and doesn’t have much bite to it; there’s absoltely no vibe here that Steve’s life is in danger. Everything’s very safe and cozy and by the numbers, with Steve even making quips as he battles the seven-foot beast. The fight ends with Steve accidentally ripping off Sasquatch’s arm – and discovering that it’s bionic like his own. 

From here things open up a bit, with Steve being captured and put in “electrosleep” so he can be monitored by a trio of jumpsuited aliens. Aliens who apparently look just like humans, with one of them, a babe named Shalon, apparently pretty hotstuff. As mentioned we get a lot of stuff about her making insinuating comments about Steve as she watches him on a giant monitor. Oh and meanwhile there’s an entire colony down here, and Sasquatch is a robot the aliens created to keep people away from their hidden base. There’s some hokey “science!” stuff with some sort of time scrambler device the aliens have created that lets thousands of years slip by in seconds, or somesuch, which makes your head hurt if you think about it too much. 

The gist of it comes down to the fact that the quake detectors have picked up a new earthquake that’s about to happen right here in the colony, but the aliens plan to divert it so that nearby cities take the damage. Steve screams at them that thousands will die, but the aliens don’t care. This leads to more running and fighting as Steve tries to prevent the massive quake and then also save the aliens from catastrophe. It’s a very bloodless and G-rated affair, and also the Steve-Shalon relationship is so scuttled that you wonder why Jahn spent the time building it up. In fact reading these novelizations you realize that the writers could likely turn in something better than the source material – given the time and inclination, I bet Jahn could’ve written a novelization of The Secret Of Bigfoot Pass that would’ve been entertaining even for adults to read. 

I mentioned the unique finale; one of Caidin’s creations that didn’t make it into the series was that Steve Austin had a metal plate in his head. At novel’s end, the aliens insist that Steve must be given amnesia so he’ll forget about them and their colony. Steve allows them to do this. It’s my understanding that Jahn’s conclusion is unique to the novel. After leaving, Steve turns around in the woods and speaks to the air – confident that the aliens are watching him (and we know they are) – and informs them that the metal plate in his head blocked their amnesia rays! Thus he remembers everything, and eagerly blabs about it to Oscar later that day. But man when one of the closing lines of the novel is Oscar’s “So Bigfoot is a robot,” you know we aren’t talking about a weighty piece of work here. Steve’s time with the aliens is basically brushed aside so that he can get back to his camping trip or whatever. 

Actually Jahn does include what seems to be a bit of mockery; when Steve first meets the aliens, he is so blasé about them that they almost take affront. Steve informs them they “ain’t the first” and that he’s met other aliens, casually going on about his various adventures. Not sure if this is in the actual episode, but the humor was nice here as it came off as Jahn spoofing the entire thing. And indeed Jahn’s own prose is so quick, the settings and characters barely described, that you suspect he just wanted to be over and done with it as quick as possible. That being said, The Secret Of Bigfoot Pass is at least a swift-moving read. 

*Steve Middleton’s feigned look of amazement made such an impact on me that I recorded a “song” about it many years later, in 1997. This was with my buddy Ken Zerby, who handles “lead vocals;” I provide backup on the chorus and play very rudimentary guitar. The “you’re a Commie!” bit midway through was our impromptu tribute to the ‘60s Fantastic Four cartoon.  You can hear it here if you’re bored.

8 comments:

Matthew said...

They used to play reruns of it on the Sci-fi channel; so I remember watching the Bigfoot episode. Never read the book.

Lt. Lothar Zogg said...

Great post!
Our kids watched “The Six Million Dollar Man’ back then. The 3 ½ minute intro was always worth rewatching. At the company where I worked the catch phrase “We can do ____, we have the technology” got popular or at least I said it many times. In the late ‘80’s I was fortunate enough to get to travel to Edwards AFB to work on the B-2 bomber. During my first trip there one of our on-site engineers pointed out a short guy wearing a white aviators’ jumpsuit and a black eyepatch over one eye. I was told that he was the pilot of the airplane shown crashing in the tv intro. This guy was the safety officer for the B-2 program at Edwards.

Front Toward Enemy said...

Steve Middleton is a prick! I used to work with that guy, back at the radio station! He was always telling us he had three albums Nirvana put out before "Bleach," which, of course, didn't exist. We finally beat him up, took away the weird little hat he wore, and threw him in a trash can which we rolled into a swamp. Serves 'im right.

Okay, none of that's true... but it's funny! I think we've all run into a "Steve Middleton" at some time or another. I had a classmate who told everybody he had a pinball machine at his house, and that he'd read Moby Dick... for no other reason than the sheer sociopathic joy of lying. I mean, a pinball machine might impress a kid, but who cares if a guy'd read Moby Dick? Dude later got kicked out of the Marines and told everybody a different story why. He also got Harley Davidson tattoos and didn't know how to ride a bike. I think he was trying to impress *my* girlfriend, the weirdo.

Anyway, the Bigfoot episode always made me really jealous of the kids at my school who got cable. I was stuck with three TV channels (one of which was PBS) and none of 'em showed Six Million Dollar Man. That didn't bother me that much, until I heard there was a show with Bigfoot on it. Then I couldn't stand it, and had to listen to second-hand accounts of the shows. It wasn't the same! I was a Bigfoot goddamn fah-REAK when I was a kid. Used to buy every magazine or book about Bigfoot. Went to see the 1976 Sasquatch in the theater... which, oddly, was where I discovered that people could lie *officially.* There were a lot of things in the TV trailer for that movie that weren't in the movie itself... including stuff about fossils, which really irked me since the only thing I was more into than Bigfoot was fossils.

Strangely enough, I also had the Six Million Dollar Man doll and the space-capsule/operating table AND Maskatron... even though we never got the show. My mom just thought they were cool-looking or something, so I got 'em for Xmas. Played with them like crazy even though -- since I didn't have the show for a reference -- I didn't really know what I was doing. I'd just make him throw that engine block he came with around and stick it onto my Tonka trucks to hot-rod 'em. If I'd known there was a Bigfoot doll I'd've lost my damn mind. I see you can find 'em on Ebay. Two different kinds, actually - one with real fur, one with molded plastic fur. Got a spare $700 for that shit? Me neither.

(Zwolf again, by the way... damn buggy blogger accounts)

Marty McKee said...

Stefanie Powers played Shalon, so hot stuff indeed!

Richard Anderson told me he and Lee Majors remained close (as did he and Lindsay Wagner; I don't think Wagner and Majors were ever all that close), and when they spoke, they called each other "Steve," "Oscar," and "pal."

I think I now have two copies of this paperback, but haven't read it since I was in junior high. Count me in as a huge fan of the show.

Grant said...

That Scholastic Books question is a little difficult to answer. I've had a decent number of them, and SOME of them can be fairly "adult."

Joe Kenney said...

Thanks for the comments, everyone! Lt. Zogg, that's a great story! I think I read an interview with that guy somewhere, where he said he couldn't even watch SMDM because it was too uncomfortable seeing himself crash at the beginning of every episode.

Zwolf, that's super interesting to hear that Bigfoot also ties in to your own discovery of lies and lying! Maybe Jung could make something out of our experiences. That's also cool to hear you had the toys, but no idea how to play with them. You know these are things I've never even thought of until I had my own kid...but like, my kid is 4 now, and I've watched as he's learned how to play with his toys. I remember him being a newborn and I was flying a toy plane over his head and he just gawked at it. Then later I'd try to show him how to play with toys, but it's only been within the past several months that he'll actively play with them on his own...like having them talk to each other, etc. Anyway I'm way off topic but I'm just saying I see what you mean, about learning how to play with those toys on your own, with nothing to go on. And I loved the note about the fake engine block -- I'd totally forgotten about that! Honestly those SMDM toys did require some heavy lifting from the kid's imagination...I mean it's not like the later GI Joe figures where there were tons of characters and vehicles and stuff. How much play time could you really get out of Steve's bionic operating table?

Oh and Marty, that's super cool to hear you met Richard Anderson. Is that something you mentioned on your blog? Looks like I need to look it up...

Marty McKee said...

I don't think I did. It was at Wizard World Chicago. I think he was relieved to talk about CURSE OF THE FACELESS MAN for a change.

Pork Chop Sandwich said...

I had that Steve Austin set-up. Never even knew there was a Bigfoot to go with it; I made do with my giant Chewbacca from the Star Wars dolls line.

I also laughed my ass off at the Venture Brothers riff on this sequence.